Creating Your High Performance Strategy
“Once you understand the foundations of cooking – whatever kind you like, whether it’s French or Italian or Japanese – you really don’t need a cookbook anymore.” – Thomas Keller
Think of leaders as chefs. Think of strategies as recipes. Great leaders don’t need to follow strict recipes. Instead, really effective leaders know the properties of each ingredient, and use each of those ingredients to create something delicious, inspired, and original.
The following are key ingredients essential to creating a high performing team. Not only will you need to understand these ingredients as a leader; each of your team members will need to understand these ingredients in order to strive for greatness in the team setting.
The 5 Key Ingredients for Success:
- Commissioning: Your team must be clear about the tasks expected of them
- Clarifying: Your team must clarify and commit to their mission, purpose, strategic aims, values, goals, roles, and processes
- Co-Creating: Your team will need to be more effective in how they work together to co-create; developing results greater than the sum of their individual efforts
- Connecting: Your team will need to engage with the staff, customers, investors, suppliers, partners, regulators, and local communities; transforming relationships, inspiring, and motivating.
- Core Learning: Your team will need to learn at a rate equal to or greater than the rate at which the environment changes. The team must commit not only to learning, but to learning more effectively.
Each of these five ingredients – or “disciplines” are essential in the high performance team setting. Begin by discussing these elements with your team members. By gaining a true understanding of these five ingredients, you will be able to lead your team to unexpected heights, and even better, your team will take the initiative – in turn, leading you to new heights.